Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Dialing for Reasons

Before embarking on this blog entry, I want to reiterate that I believe the Arizona shooting highlights our mental health crisis, more than a political speech crisis, or a gun control crisis.

I don’t know if I am up to the full blown mental health discussion. My experience in this area as a poverty lawyer was extensive and not very successful. During that time and since, I have made a few observations that seem to have held up over the years. Since the 80’s, we have embarked down a very bi-partisan road of respecting individual rights with out-patient programs, as opposed to institutions, and then, defunding the out-patient programs, resulting in mentally ill people under bridges and pushing baskets, living in tent camps in urban parks and a safety net with huge holes. One problem is that mentally ill people rarely know they are mentally ill, or at least how mentally ill they are, and avoid treatment. In an environment where the scarce resources are not mandatory, the mentally ill are not free, they are simply uncared for. Post-Tucson, we are already hearing compelling stories and thoughtful discussion about our neglect of mental health as it affects the small percentage of people with mental health issues who are prone toward violence. If there are any silver linings, perhaps this will be one. It will be interesting to see how the upcoming Congress deals with funding for mental health.

As to gun control, I would in no way infringe on the right of sane, responsible people to own guns. I have owned guns, though not recently, hunted ducks, was a member of the Texins Rod and Gun Club where my grandfather taught me gun safety and respect, and a junior member of the NRA.

Certainly, the sane and responsible among us, would deny firearms to people who would apparently commit some heinous act. I simply ask a few questions about how we determine responsibility and sanity. A teaching credential requires education, testing and a background check. A driver’s license requires education and testing. I can, rightfully, be denied a seat on a plane if there are suspicions about me. We require seat belts, helmets, and safety regulations in dangerous workplaces and there is no doubt that far fewer have been killed or maimed. But I can be a walking, talking fruit cake and buy a gun in short order? I have seen the enormous NRA building in Washington, not far from the Capitol, and am amazed that any gun control legislation ever sees the light of day, much less passes. I can’t see a lot of good coming from any of it, but I have not heard of anyone being killed because of gun control legislation.

The consideration of political speech and the recent fever pitch of vitriol suddenly is being seriously discussed. Everyone is talking about “dialing down”. Except that today, Rush Limbaugh says that Democrats wanted this shooting to happen to save the Obama presidency. I have been as pitched in the arguments as anyone. I have been de-friended on Facebook. Close friends have, rightfully, called me out from time to time. Sometimes we think we can change minds, win arguments, or appear smart, and I have learned we can do nothing of the kind. But through considerate discourse we can respect our differences, and Senate filibuster rules notwithstanding, the majority rules. Roger Ailes, the President of Fox News has instructed his broadcasters (see? I didn’t say henchmen, or pit bulls or hired guns) to be professional and intellectual. I don’t believe him for a second and have watched more Fox in the last 24 hours than recommended by the Surgeon General, perhaps this can be the beginning of a second silver lining of the tragedy in Arizona.

As Rep. Gifford’s astronaut brother-in-law, Commander Scott Kelly said from space yesterday, “We are better than this. We must do better.” The old hymn says, “Let there Peace on Earth and let it begin with me.” Heightened verbal inappropriateness, forgetting our commonality, and loss of civility have brought us as low as we have been since 9/11. Unlike 9/11, we have lacked a common enemy. We were turning on each other. The gunman may not have been inspired by a politician or talk radio but he is a metaphor for the entire country. As Pogo said, “We have seen the enemy and he is us.” Now, we have had the galvanizing event that has caused us to remember that civility and respect allow the heart of our patriotism to be big enough to include everyone. Let there be peace in the way we talk to each other and let it begin with all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment